What Is Reflection in Health And Social Care?
To reflect and impart good conditions for the others, one needs to work on his or her personal development first. Personal development can be referred to as a set of activities which amplify the knowledge of a particular process or task. To enhance productivity, personal development makes use of the individual potential to attain personal dreams and aspirations while devising methods to improve the quality of life. This objective further stems to add value to others’ lives. For instance, the mighty professions of counseling, teaching, and managerial jobs can influence the lives of many to a great extent. In a similar fashion, the health and social care sector can be enrolled amongst the professions which stem from the reflection on personal development.
The first question that needs our emphasis is how on a larger scale, one can immerse his or her efficacies for personal development in health and social care sector? To answer this question comprehensively, the descriptive detail is provided below:
The First Axiom – Apprehend the Cardinal Job Requirements
List Down Your Obligatory Tasks
It is vital that you dictate yourself what your professional obligations are and what methods can be installed to complete those. In this connection, your workload may include high-quality care assurance, assistance to a clinically professional practitioner, and transference of patients to other hospitals if deemed necessary.
Furthermore, you are liable to respond to arising medical emergencies and supplement accurate treatment procedures. In addition to these obligations, you are liable to be under the supervision of a clinical supervisor, and you are expected to abide by all policies, instructions while meeting the requirements of all medical protocols. On this account, you should also include the probability of operating a vehicle, in case of an emergency, with the utmost care and professionalism.
Summary Of The Enlisted Imperative Tasks For An Individual:
- Interact and coordinate with other professionals to ensure accurate implementation of the medical tasks.
- Comprehend the situation to garner control over the emergencies while keeping your supervisors updated with the progress.
- Converse with the patients and their respective relatives to keep them well-educated regarding the ongoing medical treatment.
- Implement accurate measures to ensure the concealment of the private information.
- Dispose of all clinical waste while incorporating all medical protocols and safety procedures.
- Make use of the dynamic risk assessment in case of the occurrence of the accident. In other words, mentally observe the surrounding environment while attending the probable causalities.
- Take charge to fill the patient report documents as per the practiced policies and protocols.
- Ensure that the Caldecott guidelines are well followed.
- Contact your supervisors when you witness a breach of security protocol, negligence, and risk to safety practices.
- Ensure that medical equipment is not damaged and is ready to be used right away.
- Install concrete steps to keep the vehicle tidy and less prone to promote diseases among the masses.
- Ensure refueling of the vehicles as an emergency can arise anytime.
- Regularly perform the safety check of the vehicle before every shift.
Assess What Is Expected From You
The people who come in contact with your medical services, expect you to be professional, compassionate, and trustworthy. They envisage you to deal with them with a friendly and positive approach. Thus, to fulfill these expectations, you should coordinate with the professional staff to induce qualitative medical treatment practices. On this account, you are liable to abide by the rules mentioned in the employee handbook and the GSCC code of practice.
As per the GSCC code of practice, a social worker must:
- Deliver qualitative services while enhancing the acquired knowledge and polishing the skill set.
- Ensure safe health conditions for the benefits and safeguard them from any adverse or harmful situations.
- Ensure that the behavior of the concerned personnel stays in line with the normal code of conduct and that they may not harm themselves or the other people around them.
- Safeguard the rights and interests of every individual, involved in the sector of health and social care.
- Build up the confidence of the service users to keep the trust levels afloat.
The Second Axiom- Reflect And Incorporate The Personal Development Learnings
Illustrate the Significance of Reflective Practise to Improve the Quality of the Service
As perceived by Kolb, learning is a continuous cycle, and the knowledge is acquired using real-life experiences and personal encounters. Taking a cue from this preliminary statement, Kolb has established a learning cycle to illustrate how an individual can use his or her acquired skills and attained knowledge to the maximum. The devised learning stages are discussed below:
- The endurance of any new experience or new exposure to the past experience.
- Reflective observation is initiated which becomes the basis to bridge connections between the understanding and the endured experience.
- The reflective observation leads to the abstract conceptualization stage which gives rise to a new idea.
- The last stage allows the person to infuse the new idea and witness what happens next.
Thus, by virtue of reflective observation, we can evaluate and make decisions after catering solutions to the uncertain circumstances present. The reflective observation may also include choosing a new line of action or locating alternative methods to solve the task in question. Let us project this phenomenon on a real-life example to understand how this observation works. Consider if you are under someone’s supervision and you commit a mistake, you must reflect and question yourself what went wrong. Were the instructions provided to you not clear, what measures should be installed to avoid the occurrence of this mishap again, and what lessons are to be learned?
Showcase the Implementation of Reflective Observation
You should demonstrate the practice of reflection by utilizing the following options:
- Refer to your shift colleagues and ask for their viewpoint on a certain emergency or conflict.
- Consult your line manager or the clinical supervisor for any feedback as per the situation at hand.
The Third Axiom- Review Your Performance
Evaluate How Learning Activities Have Affected Practice
It is essential to appraise your performance and gauge the elements or procedures which assisted you to perform your role better. On this account, you should also consider enrolling yourself in courses which may improve your knowledge and can be a valuable addition to your resume. According to the GSCC code of practice the health care member should:
- Seek assistance from the upper management if uncertainty regarding the particular job arises.
- Ensure quality standards and try to enhance their knowledge and skills.
- Participate in training and workshops which not only help increase the individual’s skills but also help to contribute to the development of others.
The Fourth Axiom- Formulate a Personal Development Plan
Locate Your Support System Bodies To Evaluate Your Performance
The support sources to locate in a workplace include the manager and clinical supervisors who provide their feedback via supervisions or appraisals. This evaluation grading helps you improve your performance and directs you to opt for the appropriate training course. Furthermore, this feedback also helps you decide the course of action you should take to enhance your skills and knowledge.
Demonstrate Your Personal Development Techniques
You should keep your clinical supervisor well-informed about your development plans. In addition to this, you should share with him the outcome of undertaking a certain training or course. Also, you should discuss your shortcomings and explore the avenues which can help you grow better professionally.
The Fifth Axiom- Make Use of the Knowledge Imparting Practises to Contribute to Personal Development
Evaluate Your Performance
You should assess how the learning techniques have helped you improve and perform better towards the job. In addition to this, think if the training has helped you replenish your lost confidence and develop other impeccable traits, such as trustworthiness. Furthermore, you should locate your improvement sectors towards the routine activities in a work setting.
Evaluate How Your Working Methods Improved Using Reflective Practise
To build on your competencies further, you should ask your colleagues for feedback regarding your improved working ways. Furthermore, you can ask them to provide you with any suggestions so that you can improve your performance steadily. However, it is vital that you take this assessment response as constructive feedback and not place their reaction under the banner of the inimical act.
Exhibit a Ratio of Record Progress And Personal Development
You should equip your clinical supervisor with your development record file bearing details of the training courses attended by you. The date of attending such training sessions should also be made a part of the record, so it gets easier for them and you to assess whether or if a certain course requires to be renewed or updated. In addition to this, on your appraisal, you may request further training to contribute better to your working role.
To sum up this context, it can safely be said that personal development helps us comprehend the prime requirements and assists us to perform better towards our job roles. Thus, you should make the most from the principles above and register yourself for the divine journey of impeccable success. Good luck!